- 25 years of Oprah screaming (half funny / half scary).
- Homeless guy with an interesting back story.
- 10 geeky things to be thankful for.
- Deep sea oddities
- Massimo Pigliucci on the incoherence of free will.
- Opium den pics from 1889 San Francisco.
- Matt Taibbi reviews Sarah Palin’s book:
At the end of this decade what we call “politics” has devolved into a kind of ongoing, brainless soap opera about dueling cultural resentments and the really cool thing about it, if you’re a TV news producer or a talk radio host, is that you can build the next day’s news cycle meme around pretty much anything at all, no matter how irrelevant — like who’s wearing a flag lapel pin and who isn’t, who spent $150K worth of campaign funds on clothes and who didn’t, who wore a t-shirt calling someone a cunt and who didn’t, and who put a picture of a former Vice Presidential candidate in jogging shorts on his magazine cover (and who didn’t).
It doesn’t matter what the argument is about. What’s important is that once the argument starts, the two sides will automatically coalesce around the various instant-cocoa talking points and scream at each other until they’re blue in the face, or until the next argument starts.